A Little Local History for Your Interest
The Anglican Church has had a presence in our district since 1867, when worship was first based at the original St Matthew's Church in Masterton.
St Alban's, Taueru:
Established in 1904, this delightful historic little church, designed by the famous Wellington architect Frederick de Jersey Clere, has celebrated over one hundred years of service to the surrounding district.
St Andrew's in the Paddock, Upper Plain:
This classic country church, dedicated in 1922, faithfully and regularly serves its ever-growing community and recently established its own hall.
St Francis', Bideford:
This delightful building, snugly situated amongst trees and farm paddocks, was built with a shingle roof and vertical weatherboards as a school house, before being consecrated in 1875. This is the oldest church in the parish and has monthly ecumenical services for the local farming families.
St Matthew's, Masterton:
The current St Matthew’s church building is the third one, replacing one destroyed in the 1942 earthquake.
Read more about the history in the Parish of Masterton on the dedicated 'history' website!